Tuesday, August 19, 2014

DON'T Let It Go: Pull Yourself Together, Sweetheart



One of last year's favorite songs was "Let It Go" from Disney's princess movie, Frozen. Dragging my kind husband to the theatre, I watched with bated breath, and enjoyed the cute film about two young princesses looking for love and the freedom to be themselves. It was both sweet and surprising, had lovely graphics, and overall I enjoyed it very much. The music was powerful and reminiscent of the Beauty and the Beast era of animated fairytales. 

"Let It Go" was heard everywhere, from the little girl in Sunday School, to television, to moms making renditions on youtube. I even heard it during my trip to Cambodia! The song is ridiculously catchy, and it was heralded as a beautiful song for young girls and all female-kind. I read a blog post of a father telling how the song was a great leap for all women, as there are many false expectations that are felt due to the culture. 



And I understand. There are few things more invigorating than "letting your hair down" and "dancing like no one's watching." I love being authentic. Life is so flat and false, otherwise. But while I agreed in part (I am a woman and know society's pressures), something else gnawed at me: we seem to be "letting go" of everything, and there will be a price to pay. 

                                                                                                                                                        
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me I'm free!
Let it go, let it go


This is the current mantra: "No right, no wrong, no rules for me I'm free!" Inhibitions equal limitations, and absolute beliefs equal chains. "Don't tell ME what to do! I decide!" From our bodies, to our language, to the way we treat others, we are just letting it all go. How long will it be until we have nothing left? Perhaps we should keep some of it together. 

Contrary to popular opinion, there IS right and wrong and having an overt absence of rules never leads to freedom, but rather folly. This kind of ideology leads to such a silly and selfish view of the world, let alone completely opposite of God's loving order and authority He put in place.

Rules are like fences. They are meant to keep us safe, not bound. When we place ourselves under God, we are both bound to Him and free in Him. But there is never true freedom unless there is surrender. Imagine if our country had no rules. Well…maybe we shouldn't imagine that. 

I realize that some religious and political groups have severely overstepped their boundaries and left many with such a disdain for authority and rules. This is legitimate, but may we not allow the hurts and abuses of the past to grant us a false entitlement to make chaos of our lives.

So go ahead and let it go a bit. Do a crazy dance, wear a crazy outfit. But pull some of it together. We need you too much.


"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.  The entire law is summed up in a single command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" 
Galations 5:13-14

Keep the Faith,
Audrey Ann


Photo Credits: 
Photo 1: Disney/Google Images/starburstmagazine.com
Photo 2: Disney/ Google Images/chicagonow.com
"Let It Go"-written by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez
performed by Idina Menzel

2 comments: