Sunday, August 10, 2014

This Genocide


 children who fled the violence in Mosul

There is so much noise, so much clamor. I open up cnn.com with one hand over my eyes. I don't really want to know; I want to pretend it has all died down. It's just another "run-of-the-mill," Middle Eastern conflict, right? And then I hear of children beheaded…systematically, the man said. It is chaos, this world. The persecution of Christians has been going on since Christ's return to heaven, and it's been rapidly rising in the last century, but now it makes the news...even the liberal news. My people, God's people, are hurting, being forced from their homes with only the clothes on their backs. It is that or death. It shakes me, jars me, and reminds me of the reason for living: Jesus, and that this war (not merely of flesh and blood) is real.
I go to Pinterest to get my mind off of it. "Paleo dinners," "fall styles," and "small home decor" are my search titles. But I am really searching for escape, for peace, for forgetfulness. I skip over to Facebook and find my friend, Carrie (missionary to Cambodia) facing things head-on and offering ways to get involved and help the situation. She's one of those who faces things. I want to be one of those, too.
children from Mosul carrying water to refugee camp

Opening my Bible, I read these beautiful verses of response when David was dealing with those who would cause harm to God's people: 
"But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them…for You, O Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as with a shield." Psalm 5:11a, 12
"Be angry and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord." Psalm 4:4-5
Sometimes when atrocities occur (such as the beheading of children), we are tempted to question how God can truly be there with them and allow it to happen...at least I do. But He is there, and He WILL be there with them and meet them on the other side. This conflict began with Ishmael and Isaac (the account starts in Genesis 15) and it will only end with Jesus. 

Watch the video:


And here are some ideas of how to be involved:

Keep the Faith,
Audrey Ann


Photo 1 credit: REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah
Photo 2 credit: pinned by Kurdo K on Pinterest



No comments:

Post a Comment